Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Mother's Day post... Kind of, sort of.

The sky was a bright blue, with a few fluffy white clouds interspersed throughout.  The sun was warm but the breeze was just right.  A tree offered a little bit of shade.

And there we were, gathered together just as we had been a little over four months ago... only this time wasn't as cold or quite as sad.

The Bible tells us in Ecclesiastes that "to everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." (And in my head I am singing, Turn, Turn, Turn...)

A time to laugh. A time to mourn. 

My cousin Gentry became the latest Clemons Clan college graduate, and we had gathered at Kiwanis Park to celebrate his accomplishments.  There were a few of us missing, but we laughed over Lauren Colwell's chocolate peanut butter cupcakes and barbecue pork.  Cornhole was played, memories of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle concert were shared, and my Dad may or may not have fallen asleep sitting up on the picnic table bench.

We've had some good memories at that park.  Family reunions, baseball and softball games, merry go rounds.

And Mother's Day is as good as any to remember.

So, as Gentry's party wound down, we passed around the notepad and jotted down our thoughts.  I don't know what my cousins wrote, or my aunts, or my Mom, or even Caleb.  I know that for me, who has always found it easier to express my thoughts with the written word, it was a struggle.  How do you sum up all that you've felt in four months on a tiny piece of notebook paper?

We blew up balloons with the help of Chelsea's Lily, who relished putting each balloon on the helium machine.  Our newest member won't make her debut until June, but I can't help but feel that Grandma has already kissed her sweet cheeks.

Balloons in hand, we trekked from the park to the cemetery.  Funny how many times we've walked that walk with Grandma.  She's probably a little miffed that Dad gave Papaw Jr. a ride... she sure wouldn't have given him a pass.

And as we stood around that grave, I looked up at that blue sky and the sun hit my face.  I looked at some of the people that I love the most in the whole wide world, and thought how family can be a good thing or a bad thing, and just how blessed I am that it is good in my case.  We may have our differences.  We may disagree on some things, but they are my people, and we have been quilted together with a thread that can't be broken...

Bound together by the love of a lady that transcends the grave.

We laughed as someone pointed out the tree, and there may or may not have been a few I told you so's when a couple of the balloons got stuck.

And I watched the balloons float up to the sky. There may have been a few tears, but I think that's ok. 

Because even in our sadness, there is hope... and the realization that this is all just a season.

Tonight, I'm thanking God for my Mama, who has been so many things to me.  My biggest supporter, my listening ear, the best hug giver in the world.  And I'm thanking God for my mother-in-law, who loves me like her own.  I'm thanking God for all of my aunts and my Grandma Bert, and that little tiny lady who would just as soon as peck your head as to look at you.

I may not be the greatest Mom in the world, but I've had some of the best examples. And that is just what being a Mom is about, being an example.

Thank you, God, for Moms and Grandmas.  And thank you for hope. 


No comments:

Post a Comment