Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Literary Fathers

(Image courtesy of The Broke and Bookish blog, where I'm linking up for their Top Ten Tuesday.

I was excited when I saw this prompt because Father's Day is coming up and I've got one of the best dads out there.

Plus, my love of reading was in a sense fostered by my Grandpa Paul, who voraciously read everything he could get his hands on.

The prompt involved honoring fathers somehow, whether it be best advice from a literary father, best or worst father figure, best books with a father mentioned...

And as I pondered all of the books I've read (and that's A LOT), I realized something.

I read a lot of chick lit.

A lot of literature centered around the relationships between mothers and daughters and coworkers and friends...

but not much with strong father figures.

Off the top of my head, here's the list of favorite fathers I could come up with:

1. Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird), because he is raising Scout and her brother on his own with the help of their aunt, and he stands for all that is good and right in this world. I hear Go Set a Watchman paints him in a different light, and to be honest, that's one of the reasons I've not read the book.
2. Gerald O'Hara (Gone with the Wind)- because this is my favorite book of all times and he's such a lively little thing. He loves Scarlett with a passion and loves Tara and teaches Scarlett the importance of loving her land.
3. Rhett Butler (Gone with the Wind)- bet you didn't see that one coming. He's known for his love affair with Scarlett, but he was a doting father to Bonnie Blue and when tragedy struck he near couldn't stand it.
4. Pa Wilder (Little House series)- He made sure his family was protected and loved his girls. Also I loved this TV series, so I always picture calm and serene Michael Landon as Laura runs to him, braids flying.
5. Nancy Drew's father- I don't even remember his name, I just know that he made sure she was recognized time and time again.

And that's it.
Seriously, y'all. 
I couldn't think of another book with a strong dad figure.
I know they are out there.
I know I've read them.
Nothing sticks out...

but t google was full of ideas, so I browsed

No comments:

Post a Comment