Friday, June 9, 2017

Five Minute Friday: EXPECT

I'm not one to step out of my comfort zone.

I don't like change.

I don't like not knowing.

I like to plan, even though I'm not always great at following through.

Let's just face it.

I like to know what to expect.

Expectations can be confusing, though.

They can actually be damaging...

because too often I develop unrealistic expectations.

For myself.

For time.

For those around me...

And I don't always communicate these expectations, so the other person has no idea why I'm suddenly mad at them because something doesn't go how I had planned.

Crazy, huh?

So this year, in my year to "live", I've really been challenging myself.

To expect the unexpected.

To expect that I'll be disappointed.

To expect that change will come, even though I don't like it, and I'll have to adapt.

But also to expect beautiful things.

To expect happy.

To expect joy, each day...

because while my expectations may not always be realistic, I can always respond to the reality.

I can learn to embrace what it really is, not what I may want.

To appreciate the here and now, not mourn what wasn't.

To expect to live life to the fullest...

because sadly, even though we expect it, we aren't always promised tomorrow.

And we shouldn't allow those false expectations kill the beauty of today.

Writing today and linking up with Five Minute Fridays, where we write for five minutes, unedited, on one prompt. This week's prompt?
EXPECT

 (Picture courtesy of FMF website, as noted on the picture).
Click on over to read lots of great thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Tomorrow isn't promised. That is the truth. Thank you for sharing your heart. I'm your neighbor at #fmf. xo

    ReplyDelete