Thursday, June 15, 2017

For Such a Time as This... and That

Every now and again I get in a melancholy mood.

It usually always happens in the wintertime, when the days are short and the sun doesn't shine and it just always looks gray.

Occasionally, though, I get that way when everything seems to be going good.

Today was one of those days, just for a few minutes.

I had a great day. I went to Lexington with my Mamaw and Caleb and Aunt Lisa. We got to see my cousin Brandon's baby Scarlette and have lunch with him, the baby, his Mom and sister Alaina. Then, I actually napped in the sun for about an hour in my hammock before Vacation Bible School, where I spent two hours with some really awesome kiddos.

The rain held off just long enough for them to play their outside games and then we got blessed with a beautiful rainbow...

but I was still kind of blue when I came home.

Today I spent some time contemplating about how life isn't fair. I got teary-eyed thinking about Dennis not being able to see his grandbaby, and Scarlette not benefitting from hearing his hearty laugh. She's such a happy little thing, with soft skin and kissable cheeks. I know he would have fallen in love.

And then I thought about how unfair it is that kids get cancer. As I watched Colton Ritchie dance at VBS and listened to his twin brother Jaiden lead us in a Bible verse that said in all things we are more than conquerors, I got tears in my eyes again.

Y'all.  Life stinks sometimes, that's for sure.

And sometimes it's easy to question God, and I think He's ok with us wondering why things have to be the way they are, because while he's all about blind faith, He's also crazy in love with us.

And the truth of the matter is that some of us are just flat out lucky...

lucky that we're born in a place that has running water and enough food to eat.

The only difference between me and someone barely scraping by is God's grace.

And it's not because I'm special.

I wish I could explain why some people seem to have it easy and some struggle every single day of their life...

but all I can do is think about the story I talked about on Tuesday night. Esther was an orphan who ended up being a Queen. A Queen that saved her people.

She had been put through those circumstances, everything that she faced, for just that moment.

We are all living in our difficult circumstances for such a time as this, to show God's wonder and to proclaim His glory and to win others to His kingdom.

For such a time as this...

we were made to love and trust and live every day as if it's our last.

For such a time as this...

we were made to help others and be kind and do our best.

For such a time as this...

We may not understand, but when we finally make it, we'll see it clearly, and we'll say...

"Oh.  That's what that was all about."

Or we may not even care because we'll be so in awe...

We're living for such a time as this...

to get ready for such a time as that. When there is no time and no death and no crying and eyes haven't seen and ears haven't heard and we can't even imagine what it's like.

Such a Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment