Saturday, February 13, 2016

What I'm Reading in February

I put off this post every month because it is my favorite post. I truly love thinking about books. I know that makes me strange, but it's better than some things I could obsess about...

The piles have grown from my bookshelf to my bedside table to my floor. I will assert that I have bought most of these books as bargain sales at Half-Price Books or used through Amazon... but my favorite authors just keep writing books and I just have to keep reading...

 My goal of 125 books a year means that I need to read roughly 10-11 books a month. In January I only read 7, so that means I'm running behind. So... without further ado...
Here's what I'm reading this month... A lot, trying to catch up from last month =)

(Note: I'm including Amazon links or Lifeway links to these books, just so if you're like me, you can add them to your wishlist.  I received no compensation for these links nor do I receive compensation if you use them to purchase a book; just thought it'd be helpful.)

I'm almost finished with About Three Bricks Shy of a Load by Roy Blount, who followed the Steelers and got the inside story behind the 1973 season. I'm sad that this book lasted longer for me than the Steelers season, but it's a neat insight into the early years of winning in my favorite organization. Love reading about Mean Joe Green!!!

Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa Terkeurst is a book the Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies group is working through, and I'm really enjoying it.  It's all about developing a true relationship with God, and has lots of good Scripture references in it. I've loved everything I've ever read by Terkeurst, and highly recommend her writings and her blog.

5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn't Quit by Nicki Koziarz.  I'm on the launch team for this book, which doesn't actually release until March 1, and so far I love this book. It's based on Ruth, which is one of my favorite books of the Bible, and Koziarz writes with a humble, funny voice that makes you feel like she's sitting across from you drinking a tall cup of coffee.

Open Your Bible: God's Word is for You and for Now is a Bible study by the developers of SheReadsTruth, and is currenly online via Lifeway. We're on the last week of this study, and it's been good. The reading is only scheduled in four sessions, and only take about ten or fifteen minutes, but the whole idea is to get you into your Bible, applying His truth to everyday life.  

Dark Chaos, the 4th book in the Bregdan Chronicles, a series set during the Civil War. The first three books were great. I love the characters, and want to know what ends up happening to Carrie and her romance and her possible career. The plot is easy to follow as well, and it is always interesting to read about events that I've heard about in history class. There are eight books in the series, I believe, and they are all fairly long, so this series will probably be in my reading list all year.

The Missing Class is a book about the near poor in America.  This population often gets overlooked, but are probably the class that struggles the most. I'm just getting started on this one, but am finding it very interesting.

Mini-Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella... I always forget how much I love Kinsella until I start reading one of her books. I laugh out loud. A lot. She writes sometimes like I think. Becky Brandon is hilarious.

183 Times a Year is a book I got free from NetGalley, so look for a review later. I'm just getting started on it but I am enjoying it thus far. I love the Mom, and the sarcastic teenage daughter may or may not slightly remind me of a younger self.

The Leadership Challenge was recommended by several of the speakers at the two day leadership academy meeting I attended. It uses real-life scenarios to discuss leadership traits and offers suggestions for developing these traits in the reader. Very beneficial regardless of what type of leadership role one is in.

This one will come as a shock to many, because I'm not sure how I could go this long without reading it... but since JK Rowling is coming out with a new Harry Potter book this summer, I decided to jump on board and started Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. And y'all... I don't know how I missed out on this. Delightful reading!!! Easy to follow writing.  So... I guess here's another series I"ll be reading all year.

Karen Kingsbury is one of my favorite authors, and I'm in a facebook group that selects books she writes. I've been slack about following along, but am reading the book they read last month. Even Now is a love story about a young girl who gets pregnant and how it influences her family. Good stuff.

Every month I get a free book from Kindle's Loaning Library by being a Prime member, so this month I'm reading Catherine Ryan Hyde's Ask Him Why, about a family influenced by the actions of their son/brother fighting in Afghanistan. I've read several of Hyde's books, and have enjoyed each of them. Just getting started on this one...

Still rotating between two devotions on my Kindle- One Year Alone with God and Love is A Verb.

Jeremiah  by Melissa Spoestra- I'm only on week 2 of this Bible study, even though I started it last month, because I've been doing a couple of other studies. Also, one of the suggestions on the reading challenge was to read a commentary, so I'm reading Matthew Henry's Commentary on Jeremiah as I read each chapter, so it's been slow going. I do like Spoestra's writing style.

Other books on the reading challenge:
A Book about Christian living: Fervent by Priscilla Shirer... a book on prayer. I haven't always had the best prayer life, and this book gives Scripture suggestions to help guide prayers. It goes along well with Armor of God, which I just finished.
A biography: Off Balance by Olympic Gold medalist  Dominique Moceanu. I avidly watched the 1996 Olympics and loved Moceanu... and all of the Magnificent Seven. The story of Moceanu's long lost sister who is also a competitive gymnast... with no legs... kept me enthralled when I saw it on TV, so this book has been a pleasant read.  

And books I plan to read for the reading challenge suggestions, which are currently on my Kindle or my bedside table:
A classic novel: My Antonia
A book someone tells you changed their life: Sun Stand Still
A book about theology: Probably Mere Christianity by CS Lewis
A book with "gospel" in the title
A book your pastor recommends: The Balanced Church
A book 100 years old: Uncle Tom's Cabin
A children's book: The Secret Garden
A mystery or detective novel: Sherlock Holmes
A book published in 2016: not sure yet
A book about a current issue- not sure yet






No comments:

Post a Comment