Friday, February 20, 2015

Five Minute Friday: Open

Linking up with Five Minute Fridays, where we write for five minutes, unedited, on one word.

Today's prompt?

OPEN.

That's a big wide open word.

Many connotations.

Many definitions.

The restaurant is open. The door is open.  An open opportunity.

As opposed to closed...

A heart closed because of fear. A mind closed because of pride.

Inpenetrable.

No escape possible...

Because the escape hatch is closed and locked.

Being open is a choice.

If you open a door, it will close unless there is something there to hold it open.

The wind blows... it slams shut.

It creeaaaakkkss shut as it slowly creeps together.

But the act of opening...

It is intentional.

It's the same for a heart.

We can spend our lives scared, closed off, not letting people in.

Or we can choose to embrace that fear, encourage the vulnerability within, and dive into the open waters.

Unrestrained.

No end in sight.

Endless possibilities...

Open to whatever life may bring.

It's scary...

but it's how He wants us to live.

Seeking Him. Loving Him and others.

Heart open.

Mind open.

Arms open...

Fill me, Lord.  Empty out what is bad so that You can fill me with You... and open my eyes and my ears and my heart to what You want for me.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post, Lauren. So much wisdom here. As you noted, "Being open is a choice." It can be anxiety provoking at times but the rewards are worth the risks. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, being open is a choice and one that is often scary. I found myself not just with closed doors but locked and dead-bolted too! This realization left me wondering how on earth I let it go that far. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete