Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What's Eating at Me?


I'm my biggest critic, most of the time.  I've spent my life comparing myself to other people, and rarely have measured up.  I've bought into the lie that the more I do, the more I'm worth, so I've crammed my calendar with activities and plans and meetings... until I have  no white space.

I'm slowly learning that no white space affects everything, though. I get overwhelmed... and when I get overwhelmed it makes me unable to think.  When I'm unable to think, it makes me lose focus and forget to do things and then that just keeps building... and it all adds up to one thing.  Stress.

In Tracey Miles's book Stressed Less Living, she points out that stress is often brought on by ourself.  It's often because we're trying to compensate and trying to fill something. 

Taking a step back, I can see several places that stress impacts my life.  It hinders my relationships, because when I am stressed I become impatient and angry.  I lose my temper and snap at the least word.  It hinders my spiritual life, because I often pout and instead of turning to God, I turn to my to do list and trying to "fix" the problem. It's hindered my self-esteem because I eat when I'm stressed, putting on weight and then starting off on a vicious cycle.

In the past couple of years, I've really been seeking God. By reading His Word, I see that there is an answer to my stress.

"Cast your cares upon Him, for He cares for you."
"All you who are weary and heavy-laden, come to me and I will give you rest."
"Be anxious for nothing."

That's right... our remedy for stress is to take the focus off of us... and to place it right on God.  He is able... and sufficient for all of our needs. 

Says the girl whose husband is gone and its the end of school and final exams for my students are coming up and I've got two presentations and two papers due in three weeks.

Yes, I'm that girl.  But I'm claiming these verses.  I'm putting Him first, seeking Him first, and I know that His grace is sufficient for all that I need. 

Anything stressing you?  Comment and I'll be praying for you!

3 comments:

  1. Good morning, Lauren! :) It sounds like you and I have struggled with some of the same issues. I am so thankful for God's word. It is alive and true and FOR US and it is powerful! Saying a prayer for you as you prepare for these last few weeks of school and trusting that God will sustain you! Blessings! ~Shelly F (OBS Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah REST. Rest is defined as: Cease work or movement in order to relax, refresh oneself, or recover strength. Why do we as women feel that rest is wrong? I know for myself I feel guilty sitting still for any length of time. Even taking the time to read our OBS book and responding to all the wonderful blog posts, I keep looking at the clock saying "I need to get busy". But God knows we all need that rest. Rest in Him, Relax in Him. Refresh ourselves in Him. Recover our strength in Him. Prayers for YOU in your next couple of weeks. Even though you are busy with school, take a mental break, even 10 minutes, to focus on Him. Close your eyes and picture Him right next to you with His hand on your shoulder, take a deep breath of His peace and relax in HIm. I promise you, you will feel refreshed and able to move forward without the stress. Blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm my biggest critic, most of the time. I've spent my life comparing myself to other people, and rarely have measured up. That's me. People see me for something better than I do myself. Thanks for sharing this Lauren, and prayers for you in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete