Friday, April 5, 2013

What I'm Reading April edition


 This is my FAVORITE post to write.  As I've said before, I really wish I could make a living from just reading.  There are too many books out there to read and not enough time! I'm still reading several of the books I was reading in March, but that's ok. 

The favorite book I'm reading right now is a fictional book called The Postmistress.  Set in WWII era, it's about a doctor who goes to Europe to serve, the wife he leaves behind, and the postmistress at the small town post office where they are from.  It's really good... and I think it's getting ready to get better.  I'm also reading The Goodbye Summer, about a woman who moves her grandmother into an assisted living facility and discovers herself as she meets those living at the facility.  This is the book that stays in my car and I read through in the drive-thru, which Caleb finds hilarious.  I must admit, sometimes I wish for longer lines so I can keep reading =)

I just started The Silver Boat by Luanne Rice.  She is one of my favorite authors, so I'm pretty sure it's going to be good.

On my Kindle, I'm reading The Last Days of Summer, a free read that was slow at first but is getting better.  In this one, two young people find themselves meeting years after their parents were killed  in the same car accident.  It's set in the 70s, and is going to be a heart-tugger, I think.  I'm also reading The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, which I've been reading since last month, I guess.  It was recommended by my epidemiology teacher, and is really, really good, just taking me a while to get through because it is technical. It talks a lot about the history of medicine in America, and the history of the military and miliatry medical units, so it's great for a history buff like me!

I'm finishing up My One Word.  I knew what my word was for this year before I started reading it, but it's been a good book to help me focus on that word, and definitely has some ideas to help me next year as I come up with a new word for 2014 (which will be here before we know it!)   I'm also getting started on Stressed-Less Living by Tracie Miles, which I will be reading for a 12 week study with Melissa Taylor's Online Bible Studies.  I'm leading a small facebook group, which is fun. We're reading it slowly, one chapter at a time, and I can already tell that is is going to take time to process, because Chapter 1 was GOOD.  Another book I'm reading from last month is John Maxwell's 15 Laws of Growth.  I'm on Chapter 4, reading one or two chapters a month.  And I'm planning on reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan for a book club.

Then there's always my Bible... which I love to read.  Caleb and I are doing some reading together, which has been good.

I'm already compiling my summer wish list.  Got a whole shelf in there full- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Art of Fielding, Rhett Butler's People, some books by Sherryl Woods... and a Kindle full, too- Sparkly Green Earrings, The Boy in the Suitcase, The Good Sister, Water for Elephants.. and, of course, the ever elusive War and Peace =)

Let me know what you're reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment