Thursday, September 27, 2012

Polishing Shoes

Today I went with my Grandma to the cardiologist.  Actually, Mom and I had planned to go to Lexington to pick up my glasses and she just happened to have an appointment, so we killed two birds with one stone.  Then we picked up stuff for Regina's baby shower... and picked up Kami to hang out for a little while.  Anyway, I digress...

As I was sitting in the doctor's office waiting for Grandma and Mom to come out, I couldn't help but notice a couple sitting in the waiting room.  They looked to be in their early 70s.  What caught my eye, or my ear, actually, was when the lady told the man, "I polished your shoes for 40 years.  I think it's your turn."  Then she grinned...

In a couple of minutes, the nurse called her back.  He got up and offered his arm, and she leaned heavily on it as she walked in.  40 years of polishing shoes... and who knows what else.  I imagine she's leaned a lot on him in those 40 years, maybe not physically... and he's probably leaned on her a lot, too.

Then, later on, we stopped at Shell to get something to drink before we headed out.  In the parking lot, a couple that looked to be in their late 60s were working together to get the top off their convertible.  It looked to be difficult, but they were working together.  And it hit me.  That's what marriage, relationships, is all about.  Teamwork. Leaning on each other through good and bad.  Keeping the scorebook during the volleyball game when all you really want to do is read a good book in the bleachers.  Saying you're sorry and accepting apologies.  And knowing that no matter what... that other person will be there for you. 

Even when you don't feel like polishing shoes anymore =)

No comments:

Post a Comment