Monday, September 17, 2012

Balance

It is the middle of September, and I just read my first book yesterday.  There is something wrong with that.  Granted, I'm reading about seven books right now, but to just finish one book in 15 days? 
Sadly, I'm not seeing any reading time in my near future, either, unless you count a Biostatistics book and an SPSS manual. 

Sometimes, you have to sacrifice to get what you want.  I'm telling myself this tonight... nobody signed me up for this doctoral program.  I filled out the application myself. And I do want this... but how much? 

I won't be finished until 2015.  That's a long time.  Caleb will be a teenager (oh, my... that in itself just might be more than I can take).  I'm reminded, though, that with hard work comes results and God has a plan and a purpose for everything. With that being said, I've been having some Unglued moments.  (Plug for Lysa Terkeurst's new book.  Can't wait to start reading!)Been smothering pretty bad.  Woke up the other morning with heart palpitations because I had so much going on.  So much to do... so little time to do it.  I'm sure you've been there and done that.  Everyone can relate to being overwhelmed, and if you can't, you should probably write a book and make lots of money from the rest of us. 

I'm a procrastinator, which makes this worse. I'm also one of those people who can't say "No".  So this means that my plate is more than full.  I have really been prioritizing lately, and I'm happy to say that even in my craziness, I think I'm starting to get it right. 

God first.  That means getting up in the morning and opening my Bible.  I'm reading in 1 Peter and in Colossians with a couple of online study groups, and just finished Esther in my Chronological Bible.  I haven't taken a Sabbath day the last few weeks, but I'm changing that this weekend.  Well, except for a couple of hours of Biostats.  (And just to be funny, I do pray while I'm doing biostats.  I need all the prayers I can get).

Family second. Hence the going to volleyball practice and elementary basketball games with Wallace.  Just hanging out.  Fighting with Caleb over homework.  These two guys are the most important people in my life, followed by my Mom and Dad and sisters.  I've got to keep showing it.

Then, work... and school.  One day at a time. Which is why I am so often typing lecture notes the night before class. 

I read on Facebook a status that I really liked, which kind of spoke of this. I hope Stephanie doesn't mind me stealing it...

"Isaac laid the foundation on the order of how we should treat aspects in our life. “And [Isaac] builded an altar there, and called upon the name of the Lord, and pitched his tent there: and there Isaac’s servants digged a well.” (Gen. 26:25.)
God is the highest most being and should be exalted first. We should not confuse God as ...
church and church as God. Instead we should include an alter in all areas of which we live. Everywhere we go God should be first and foremost. The tent is our family. The man is the head of the home whereas the woman is the heart of the home. With the two intertwined, our children can grow in a loving, safe environment. Finally, the dug well represents our work whether it is within a church or our careers. If we follow Isaac’s foundation, we will find more stability in our faith, home, and work."
 
So, in all of my ramblings, there it is. Balance and stability... and maybe even some time somewhere another to read a good book.  God bless, and good night. I'm going to take advantage of God's lullaby- the rain on my tin roof =)

No comments:

Post a Comment