Sunday, September 9, 2012

Over My Head

Yesterday was one of the longest days of my life.  It started out bad... rain, a torrential downpour, and I didn't have an umbrella.  Luckily, I have a great friend who let me borrow hers, but we still looked like two drowned rats by the time we made it into the classroom (Jenna was kind enough to actually let me use the umbrella, so she got a tad more wet than me.  That is the definition of a true friend).  We couldn't find the door to get into the building, which only complicated things. 

Lecture on leadership wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, especially considering it was at 8 AM on a Saturday morning in the rain.  The speaker was actually pretty interesting, and it really made me think of my own views on leadership.  I don't consider myself a "leader" per se, but as an educator, I've placed myself in that position, and I take it seriously.  I guess I see my role more as an encourager... and really, we all have to be leaders at something.  Some of us just do it better than others. 

Jenna and I called in Cheddars and got Gigi's Cupcakes to motivate us...and we needed them.  Biostats... oh, my!  First of all, let me say hats off to Wallace, who deals with those numbers frequently in his job at UK.  I'm thinking this is definitely going to go down as one of my hardest classes EVER... and my nursing friends know I'm not saying that lightly.  The longer Dr. White talked, the more of a headache I got.  And the more I wanted to cry.  And go home and cover my head underneath the blanket...

Cause it really is that bad.  It's like a foreign language, even after two statistics class.  Advanced is...advanced.  And to say I'm a little scared may not be strong enough.  But I'm no quitter. So today, after I posted my discussion board over my problem statement for another class (only about 8 hours before the due date.  Yep, I'm getting better at procrastinating... grin), I sat down and planned my attack.  Organized my due dates.  Starting tomorrow, I'm going to bust that biostatistics class wide open.  I'm not dummy... and I'm definitely not going to let Wallace be a pro at something and me not be able to do it.  Although it is nice to have someone who can tutor me, because I'm definitely in over my head here!

No comments:

Post a Comment