Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What I'm Reading

So, I'm still reading War and Peace.  It was my goal to read it all this summer... but somehow that didn't happen.  It's a book that you have to think about as you read, and to be honest, I just haven't been up to that. 

So I read other books.  And I'm still reading other books.  I recently started Janet Evanovich's Ten Big Ones.  I started reading the series at the beginning of the year and took a break from them.  I also am reading Skylight Confessions by Alice Monroe.  On my Kindle, I'm reading Eye of the God, which was a free book.  It's about gem thieves trying to pull off a heist at the Smithsonian.  I'm really liking it.  Sometimes the free books are a bust... but this one I'd probably pay for. I'm reading in the book of 1 Peter for a Bible study, and also reading a book called Life is a Verb, all about living life to the fullest.

My favorite that I am reading right now, though, would have to be Life of Pi.  A co-worker brought it to me at the end of the summer and told me he thought I'd like it.  I had looked at it several times when it was first published but to be honest, it just didn't look like something I'd like... but I do.  It's well-written, and reads well.  I'm not too far into it yet, but maybe with a three day weekend???

So now you know what my plans are for Labor Day.. grade some assessments and care plans, work on lecture notes, eat a few corndogs, watch the Bobcats win the Honey Bowl, watch the parade, eat some more corndogs...and read.  Maybe I'll even get 25% into War and Peace =) And dare I say I will read it all by the end of the year =)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren! I'm excited to find another local blogger. I've been enjoying your blog. Also, I appreciate that you're reading War and Peace. I read Anna Karenina a couple of years ago and (mostly) enjoyed it. I think that may be enough Tolstoy for me for awhile though. I started The Brothers Karamazov last summer, and it's a wonderful book, but, you're right: you have to THINK while you read! Wow - I don't know when I'll find the space in my brain to finish that one. And just one more thing.... Life of Pi is an incredible book. I hated finishing it and having to step back into reality. I'll be interested to know what you think of the ending.

    ReplyDelete