Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Isaiah 40

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? Yahweh is the everlasting God,  the Creator of the whole earth. He never grows faint or weary; there is no limit to His understanding.  29 He gives strength to the weary and strengthens the powerless." Isaiah 40:28-29

I've always loved the verses that come after these in Isaiah.  I mean, there's just something poetic about "mounting up on wings like eagles".  No growing faint.  No growing weary. 

But today, as I read these verses in my morning quiet time, they really resonated in my soul.  Basically, Isaiah is talking about a time of salvation... following a long period of captivity, where the people of God were carried into a foreign land and their temple was destroyed, their city left in rubble.  He's saying, "Man, don't you know?  Don't you understand?  You've not heard the news?"... and then there it is. Our hope and promise for everything.  God is everlasting.  He created it all.  He never grows faint or weary, even when it's all we can do to take one more step.  He understands everything... even things we don't even know to be thinking about.  How awesome is He?

So I've had these verses on my mind all day.  This piece of news is a balm to my soul.  I can't imagine everlasting, all-compassing knowledge, and unending energy... but God's got it.  And He gives us His strength. 

I needed to hear this today.  As I struggled to get work done.  As I lectured and lost my train of thought... as I found out my Grandma is sick, with acute kidney failure, looking at dialysis tomorrow.  As I stood and talked with my Papaw, listening to the oxygen machine swishing as he talked about his time in Michigan and Grandma being sick, saying, "I'd spend any amount of money to get her what she wants if I could." Tears came to my eyes...

and then I remembered.  "Hey, Lauren, aren't you listening?  He's the Creator, the everlasting, the One who knows ALL things." He's got things covered...
Strength to the weak.  Power to the powerless.  Renewed strength... Thank You, Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment