Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Tuesday Tidbits (Volume 1, Edition 11)

This evening I managed to get in a mile before the skies opened up and the rain came. A couple of days ago I was walking and realized it was 0' dark 30 at 8 PM...  and then the next day Wallace told me he local mini-mart isn't selling ice cream anymore which means that summer really is over and there are no words for how sad that makes me. 

This quote made me think: "Grownups don't look like grownups on the inside either. Outside they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. Truth is, there aren't any grownups.." The Ocean at the End of the Lane

As I pondered, I thought about how often I had muttered the words, "I don't want to be the grownup." There's a meme on the socials that says something to the effect of, "You look around the room for the grownup, only to realize you ARE the grownup." And let's face it, most days adulting is HARD. Mostly, though, what I took away from this quote is that we are all little children inside. Every person you meet, no matter what their age, is most likely still a little scared and insecure. They are caring their childhood experiences, good and bad, with them, and we all sometimes revert to that scared little kid. Give a little grace when you encounter someone who rubs you the wrong way. It may just be forced bravado.

Later in the same book: "I do not miss childhood, but I miss the way I took pleasure in small things, even as greater things crumbled. I could not control the world I was in, could not walk away from things or people or moments that hurt, but I found joy in the things that made me happy."

Not every kid gets a good childhood, and I fully recognize that... but childhood should be full of innocence. Kids are generally more creative, have a huge imagination, and are optimistic. They also tend to forgive easily. Each day, let's strive to let a little bit of that child out. 

In one scene of this book, the character talks about dowsing.  It made me think of my Papaw Barlow, who "water witched". He'd take two dousing rods (of a special kind of wood, I think, although maybe it worked with metal later? I don't know... I forget stories) and then move around property. At the site of water running underground, the rods would cross and they'd know where to dig for a well. I'm not sure how they figured out as much as they did back in those days, but I'm in awe. What's something your ancestors did that you're proud of? 

Overdrive and library books- Yes, I do have trouble keeping up with reading and no, this will not help me in that in any way but did you know that our local public library (and many other libraries) loan out books for your e-reader? It's like magic. You sign in with your library card, so some browsing or search for a book you want, and then have it delivered... at any time of the night. Amazing, right? 

Books I Read: 

Canada by Mike Myers

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

What You Are Getting Wrong About Appalachia- Elizabeth Catte- "No need to write a sad book or platform yourself constantly, just run toward your friends when they need you." 


You need to try: 

the podcast pictured above. It reads a Psalm a day, and then provides commentary, and the voice is so very soothing. 

Have a blessed week, friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment