Monday, October 7, 2013

Happy Birthday Kami and Al!

Tonight on the way home I was reflecting about the stories of our lives.  There are some stories that I never get tired of telling.  Stories about when I drove the car down Picnic Hill, or when Caleb rode the ice cream truck at Myrtle Beach, or about when Wallace wrecked and how scared I was.

And then there's the story of the explosion in the Clemons Clan. 

And in case you haven't heard it, let me enlighten you.

Twenty years ago, my Aunt Nora was pregnant.  She had been telling us for a while.  Gentry was two or three and it was time for her to expand her family.  She was the baby, and we were all excited.

My Mom, the oldest sibling, had two daughters already, and Billy had already moved in with us.  I was a pouty teenager and Holly was her happy go lucky Indian loving self.

And then she called a family meeting, where she announced tearfully that she was pregnant.  She was a little nervous. After all, I was thirteen.  Holly was seven.  Mom was forty. 

 That  evening, Mom began calling everyone and telling them the good news.  She called Aunt Dana, who said she was heading to the doctor the next day... and Aunt Lisa refused to drink the water at Grandma Na's for a while.

So, fast forward seven months or so.  Mom had already scheduled her C-section for October 8th.  Nora wasn't due for two more weeks but she wasn't going to let Mom beat her.  She called to say she was headed to Lexington.  Alaxandra Gabrielle Hays was born into this world to that long name that we soon shortened to Al (which, by the way, is NOT a girls name... inside joke and a story for another time).  About two hours later Kami Elizabeth made her debut.  Nora had won the race and the two sisters were roommates. The Clemons Clan took over Central Baptist, or at least that room. 

The next morning, Jen and I were dropped off at Rupp Arena where we stood in line for Garth Brooks tickets.  We bought an extra one, and gave it to Nora for all of her hard labor (remember, we were 14 and 16 and needed a ride to the concert).  I don't know which I was more excited about... the tickets or my baby sister.

By Christmas time, Dana had Brayton and plans were made to knock down a couple of walls in Grandma and Grandpa's house. 

Yep, one of my favorite stories... and I'll probably tell it again next year.







No comments:

Post a Comment