Thursday, February 14, 2019

Love in Any Language

Love is a funny word.

On today, Valentine's day, it is usually said romantically...

but I also say, "I love books. I love reading. I love the sunshine. I love chocolate."

The human language in itself is funny... because a word can have so many meanings, and when you translate it from English to another language, nuances can get lost.

For example, if you hear someone say "Amore" in a true Italian accent, it brings to mind passion... just because of the sound of the word.

We used to sing a song... not sure if it was in church or in chorus...

"Je t'aime, Te amo, Ya ti-bya lyu blyu,  Ani o hev ot cha,  I love you"

All love.

All different languages.

All with the same meaning, only slightly different.

In the Bible, there are different types of love: agape love, philos love, and eros love. Godly. Friendship. Passion.

We are called to love as God does... it's the greatest commandment- Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.

That, my friends, is impossible without God.

I can't love God with everything in me without His Spirit empowering me, because too often I start thinking of my own desires.

I certainly can't love others... my neighbors and my enemies... as myself...

Let's face it. Some days I don't even love myself.

The love we are talking about here is an action.

It's not a feeling. It's a decision to keep showing up, even in the hard times.

It's a decision to turn the other cheek. To forgive. To be patient and kind and not hold records of wrongs...

while inside we are screaming to hold a grudge.

Love isn't something we feel...

and it has to be something we celebrate more than once a year.

It's a minute by minute action.

And Biblical love, modeled by Jesus Christ, means putting our life on the line for others.

For those we love with eros love- full of passion.
For those we love with philos love- full of friendship.
Even for those who seem so different from us, those we would never want to love... maybe that's the ones we are called to love the most.

No matter how you say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment