Thursday, October 2, 2014

Thinking...

This morning it was cool outside and fog covered the track as I walked with a friend.  The spider webs were magically dangling off the fence around the baseball field as we circled.  I put one foot in front of the other... late night last night meant this morning I was nearly sleepwalking.

There are days when it seems like I don't think much.  I have white space in my head and just concentrate on breathing in, breathing out...

Then there are days when my head is full of screaming thoughts.

What I  have to do. 

What I haven't done.

What I shouldn't have done but did.

And then there is all that self-righteous indignation against others...

What he should have done. What she shouldn't have done. Why can't they just...

And it all goes on in my head.

It's easy to focus on the negative in this world.  Between ebola and social unrest and ISIS and beheadings and school shootings.... It's dark and the cloud is heavy.

Throw in the everyday worries and it can overwhelm.  Bury us alive.

Philippians 4:8 tells us, "Finally my brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Good things to think of... but there is something else.

The first word of this verse tells us that this is secondary to something else... that we must first take action in another way... and before we can talk about having whatsoever thoughts, I feel like I should expand on that.

Verses 4-7 give us something else to think of.  Rejoice... and rejoice again. Even in the darkness.  Even in the pain.  We are to rejoice.

Let your moderation be known to all men... Be lights.  Be examples.  Let them see Jesus in you. 

Because He's coming. Oh, thank goodness..

Don't worry about anything.  Pray about everything. Give thanks always.

And He'll give you peace...

And then... finally... think on what is good.  True.  Noble.  Right.  Pure. Lovely.  Admirable. 

Like the lovely orange leaves outside my window.  Opening a door for someone else. The person who just keeps going when you think they will quit.  A baby's laughter.  A handshake that you know means something.

His Word. 

Whatseover...

These next few days, when I start that negative thinking, I'm going to pause.  Rejoice.  Pray. Give thanks.  Accept His peace... and take whatever negative thought I'm having and think of the exact opposite.

Thinking whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment