Saturday, October 11, 2014

Good News

"Go, tell it on the mountain.  Over the hills and everywhere. Go, tell it on the mountain, that Jesus Christ is born..."

Perhaps one of my favorite Christmas songs from when I was little. 

Tell the gospel.  Euaggelion.  Good news.  Glad tidings. The beginning of the gospel was Jesus Christ...

And the last commandment He gave us? 

"Go into all the world and preach the gospel."

Preach it in word. Preach it in deed. Preach it as you live it... who Jesus is and what He's done for you.

"Whatsoever is of good report...."

Good report.  From the Greek euphemos... eu meaning well and pheme meaning report or fame.

Well as in "Well done, my good and faithful servant."... don't we all want to hear this?

Good news.  Give us something to smile about...

but instead it is darkness and illness and violence, sucking the life right out of us.

Bad news sells... sensationalized.

"Whatsoever is of good report..."
But sometimes it is easier to share the bad. The negative. In small towns, the rumor mills run 24/7 and the stories get expanded until the hardly recognize the original.

Throw more fire on the kindling and let it burn...

Words to ignite and to pit us against each other.

Half-truths or no truths.

We may stumble backwards and try to do damage control, but the damage is already done. 

A word can't be taken back.

The old adage is true... if you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all.

"Whatsoever things are of good report..."

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."- Ephesians 4:29

Think on the good news... and if you don't see any in front of you, look up. 
Continuing my series on Philippians 4:8 through the #write31days challenge. 

I'd love to hear about your good news this morning! Share in the comment section below.






7 comments:

  1. I remember learning that son in Sunday School! I've been struggling to find the "good news" in my own life over the last couple of weeks, but God has given me yet another day to make a difference, no matter how small, and that is good news! Thanks for linking up. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling in my heart that I must shout from the mountains that Jesus is born. This post is just more encouragement. Thanks!
    Amanda livinginafrica.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your series topic. Thank you for these praiseworthy reminders!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that song, too! And I've been trying to clean up my conversational act every since I first realized how important our words really are (I moved to a small town and experienced the wounded end of the gossip mill several times and it just devastated me--then I realized that I needed to be careful with what I said, too). Thanks for linking up at Inspire Me Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one of my favorite songs. I am working at being more positive and taking every thought captive. Jesus is Lord and I should be content in Him. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sort of goes along with I am doing for my 31 day series. All about the power of words and what kind of environment we create in our home according to what we focus on. This is a great challenge. Thanks again for another wonderful post. This has been a fantastic series. Almost half way done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The power behind positive words and the POWER behind God's gift! Love it!

    ReplyDelete