Friday, December 21, 2012

The Greatest Gift

Today I finished up my shopping, I think. Good thing, too, since Christmas is just four days away.  We do Christmas at the Griffiths on Christmas Eve and then go to my in-laws that evening.  Christmas morning finds us at Mom and Dad's, then Grandma Na's, where the Clemons Clan barely fits into the house, making for a loud and "close" meal.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Most of my presents are wrapped, too, under my one Christmas tree.  Today, Caleb made Christmas cookies with Mom and we delivered them to friends and family.  We visited one family friend who had 12 Christmas trees.  Yes, 12!  One in every room.  Decorated in Santas and snowmen and angels and snowbabies and Hallmark ornaments and sportsthemed ornaments... but there were probably more nativity scenes than there were trees.  Beautiful decorating, and it got me thinking as I wrapped my presents.

I'm not the best gift wrapper.  I never sent out Christmas cards this year; in fact, I've never sent out cards the entire time Wallace and I have been married.  I always mean to send them out. I buy them, and they sit unopened...

But I love.  I think of those I love and say special prayers for them... so even if you don't get a card, know I'm thinking of you this Christmas and wishing you and yours the very best. 

And as I'm getting older, I'm realizing it's less about the gifts and more about family, and being together, and loving.  Of laughter and memories and belonging. And I'm sending up a special prayer for those who might be hurting, who have lost a loved one this year or who are estranged from those they love.

Above all, I'm remembering the best Christmas gift any of us could receive.  Ironically, He came to earth as a helpless babe.  Mary was a young teenage girl who had to be scared to death, and Joseph wanted to privately divorce her when he found out. Not the best of circumstances to come into... but then He grew, and that Word made flesh became the Savior that all of us needed.  The best gift is the fact that even though I deserve nothing, He gave everything.  No pretty packages, just Him on the Cross.  For me.  And for you.

And if you don't know Him, He doesn't have to be a stranger.  He loves you.  Give yourself the best Christmas present.  Grab a Bible and read Luke 2.  Get to know Him, because here's the catch.  He's a soon returning King, and our gifts will be many in Heaven... because His grace is sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment