Thursday, December 20, 2012

Live Like Its the Last

Tomorrow is December 21st... the end of the Mayan calendar.  It's been the talk for the last couple of years... what will happen on this day, if anything?  I've lived through a couple "end of days" days.  Everyone feared the millenium... that we'd wake up and nothing would work, all of our digital lifestyle would have gone haywire, banks would be robbed and electricity would fail, etc. etc... and then we woke up, and nothing had changed.

I'm not a believer in the Mayan prophesy... I'd much rather hold fast to the Word given over 2000 years ago, that says that noone, not even the Son of God, knows the time nor the hour.  I do believe, however, that time is running out.  Signs such as wars, and rumors of wars, and endless killings, and earthquakes in diverse places... those are all biblical in nature, pointing to the time that Jesus will come back to set up His kingdom, a Kingdom where peace will rule and chaos will be no more.

Just this morning, I read in James.... my paraphrase.  You spend your time saying tomorrow I'll do this and go here and buy this... but what is your life? It is but a vapor, here for a little while, and then it fades away.  And I am so guilty of that.  An obsessive planner, a compulsive to-do list maker.  and that okay... but today, as I sit here reading the twitter feed and the facebook updates talking about the Mayan doomsday, I got to thinking. 

If today really was my last day on earth, what would it look like? I'd like to think it would be spent with those I loved the most.  I think if I knew my time was short, I'd laugh more, and care less about things that didn't matter.  I'd be more giving.  I'd not be quite as serious, and not get so consumed with what I don't have and what I can't do.  If today was really my last day, I'd want everyone to know just how much they mean to me.  I might pick up the phone and call old friends I haven't talked to in a while.  I might not spend as much time on the computer, and spend more time thanking God.

Even though we don't know when the end of the earth is going to be, or even when the end of our life will be, we do know that we only have a short time to make a difference.  In the end, it's not going to matter how many friends we have on Facebook (even though I love Facebook) or how many pairs of shoes we have or even how expensive our house is.  In the end, it's going to be how we pointed others to Him.  We have the opportunity every day to live as if there were no tomorrow, and to fully embrace the opportunities we are given today.  Opportunities to be a light to others, to serve as Jesus did, and to love one another. 

As if this was our last day...

No comments:

Post a Comment