Sunday, December 16, 2012

My Christmas List

When I was little, Christmas was all about the presents. Oh, I still like presents, but Christmas means so much more now.  Time with my family, laughter, celebrating all of our blessings... and time off to read.

I LOVE to read.  I'll read about anything. Right now I'm reading about 9 different books.  There's Plum Spooky, book 14.5 in the Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.  I'm also reading Julia's Chocolate by Cathy Lamb, a novel about a woman who has left her abusive fiancee and retreated to her aunt's house.  There's The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow, a book I got for free on my Kindle, which I am really enjoying.  I love books about small communities and hope and love for God, all wrapped into one. 

On a serious note, I'm still fumbling through War and Peace.  I'm not much farther than I was when I posted last about my reading list.  I was telling Holly yesterday how far I was into it and she said, "If you can make it through the first 600 or 700 pages...", so it's looking like I've got a while before it turns good.  I'm determined that I'll finish sometime... just because she says it is worth it. I'm also reading Greater by Steven Furtick.  It highlights the story of Elisha and how God calls us to be greater... right where we are.  I'm really enjoying it. 

And then there is my to read list, which grows daily.  I've always been a tad bit addicted to books, but that's okay.  Over Christmas break, I plan to read... a lot.  Some of the titles on my to read list: the rest of the Stephanie Plum series (total of 19, so I've got 5 or 6 to go, depending on if there are any .5 books), the 3rd book in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo book (I've still got to buy it... but I know I'm going to read it).  In my bookshelf includes The Sound of One Hand Clapping, The Red Tent, Shoes Addicts Anonymous, The Silver Boat, The Kite Runner, The Postmistress, Their Eyes Were Watching God... just to name a few.  And on my Kindle are too many to name, too... but off the top of my head, Water for Elephants, Saving Max, and some small e-books of Sweet Valley Confidential (follows the Wakefield Twins of Sweet Valley High... love me some Sweet Valley). Then there's Crazy Love by Francis Chan, The Well, and several other books by Christian writers I can't wait to ruminate on.

And as always, Christmas stories, for free... I try to read those right before Christmas to get myself in the spirit.

Lots to read, little time to do so... but books are my best friends, and they'll always be there when I get to the shelf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment