Thursday, November 29, 2012

Greater... for my Generation, and the Next

Greater... small word that packs a lot of punch.  It implies something that is better.  I've spent 2012 trying to be better.  In some instances, I have... and in others, I've fallen flat on my face.

Part of my whole becoming better plan involved diving into Bible study.  I do enjoy reading my Bible.  I love learning new things and getting new insights on stories I thought I knew everything about... but had it all wrong.  The Bible is truly the best book that has ever been written... and not just because it is God's inspired Word, though that is reason enough.  It's true.  It's applicable.  And amazingly enough, He always knows just what we need to hear.

Anyway, I digress.  My desire for learning God's Word has led me to several different studies.  For the past year or so, I've followed along on Melissa Taylor's blog.  I've not commented much, but I have gained a lot of great friends on Facebook (Group 10 rocks...).  I've learned a lot, too... about not exploding and not stuffing, about desiring His Word and Him opening up the Word so that we get secret treasures, about not fearing.  And I have changed.  I'm making imperfect progress, getting better... but I'm far from great. 

Just in two days, this new book, Greater, has really got me thinking.  What does it mean to be greater? 
Does it mean that I won't get mad at Caleb over math homework?  Or that I won't get angry at a coworker when something doesn't go my way?  Does it mean I'll be diligent in completing my papers and try extra hard to get them exactly right?  I won't get impatient with students when I am super busy and they just want to talk?  I won't get my feelings hurt when Wallace comes home from practice with the phone stuck to his ear and proceeds to talk about said practice for hours at a time, and as soon as he hangs up heads in to watch game tape?  That I won't be scared when I think about changes coming up?  Does it mean that I'll finally be able to turn down Gigi's cupcakes and lose all of this extra weight?  Please tell me it means that I'll actually enjoy exercising... and be motivated to once more climb on the treadmill?
OR maybe I'll be super spiritual, the kind of friend who always knows just what to say.  Maybe I'll become super Mom and wife and friend and teacher... the picture perfect gal who always has everything in place.  Oh, I could use some greater in my life...

Nope. It' s none of this stuff.  Greater means moving past my desires, my wants, my need to do, into a sense of being.  Being closer to God. Being full of Jesus.  Being willing to be obedient and to step out of my comfort zone.  Being a vessel willing to allow Him to fill me.  Being greater is getting rid of complacency, getting rid of mediocrity, and getting rid of condemnation.  According to Furtick, being greater is, "Beyond what you see in yourself on your best day but exactly what God has seen in you all along."

God has a purpose.  He has a plan, and He has promised that He can and will do exceedingly above anything that we can imagine... we just have to believe.  We have to be willing to let go of our fears and our self-doubt and our pride, and allow Him to move in.  Jesus left this earth after defeating death and promised a Comforter that would see us to the end.  In this, the Holy Spirit, we have power. The same spirit that raised Christ from the dead is within us.  Through this Spirit, God wants to use us in extraordinary ways, to complete the purpose He chose for us before the foundation of the world.  Yes, it's scary.  No, I'm not sure what direction it may take.  I just know that my generation is raising the next church, and according to statistics quoted by a pastor I listened to this weekend, it is estimated that only 4% of the next generation will profess to be Christians.  Do we need Greater?  Absolutely... and it's up to me, and you, to allow God to move.  We can be greater... for Him. Through Him.  Because He is enough to make it happen.  He is a Promise Keeper, and He's made a group of history makers.  It starts with us... deciding to allow Him to make us greater. 

5 comments:

  1. That 4% statistic shocks me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post, Lauren! Also scared but ready for Him to use my meager talents to be Greater!

    Beth, OBS Small Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. It' s none of this stuff. Greater means moving past my desires, my wants, my need to do, into a sense of being

    Wow.. what a powerful statement. I want to chew on just that. You wrote some awesome awesome things! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your post!!
    Greater means moving past my desires, my wants, my need to do, into a sense of being. Being closer to God. Being full of Jesus. Being willing to be obedient and to step out of my comfort zone. Being a vessel willing to allow Him to fill me. Being greater is getting rid of complacency, getting rid of mediocrity, and getting rid of condemnation. According to Furtick, being greater is, "Beyond what you see in yourself on your best day but exactly what God has seen in you all along."
    Amen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Lauren! I love your perspective on greater. I pray that I raise my children with God and the 4% number will be really far off.

    ReplyDelete