Friday, October 7, 2011

Love One Another

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you"
John 15:12
Love should be easy, right? All rainbows and sunshine, laughter and good times... and it probably was for Adam and Eve. But we live in a fallen world, a world full of sin and darkness, a world full of disappointments and hurt. A world that it's easy to get our feelings hurt, even from a simple misunderstanding. Harsh words get said, even when we don't want to. Irrational thoughts take over, and it becomes all about what we want... our feelings, our needs. Even when we love, sometimes we don't LOVE. That may not make much sense, but it is because of our fleshly tendencies.

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love does not envy, and is not proud. Love is not self-seeking, and is not easily angered. Love keeps no record of wrongs. Love protects, trusts, hopes, and perserveres. How often do we love like that? I am guilty, DAILY, of not loving as I should. I make mistakes. I mess up. I get angry, and am selfish without thinking. Me, who is supposed to be the adult, act childish. But more and more God's calling me on it. He's making me feel guilty. He's calling me to be more patient, more kind, more in control of my feelings. And while I may not be successful, I recognize that I am trying. The thing is, even when our feelings may be hurt, we still feel better when we truly love. When we care more about the other person than we do ourself.

There are different kinds of love. The love a Mom feels for a child. The love a wife feels for a husband. And then there is sister love. I've been so blessed with two wonderful sisters. I wasn't always the best example, but I have learned so much from them, and am still learning. And this is when Christ's commandment comes to play. Loving when you don't want to. When your big sister hits you in the head with a baseball bat. When you have to share a room with your little sister. When you grow up and are adults and you say mean things to each other. Loving one another as Christ loved us is about putting someone else before yourself. I'm sorry, girls, that I don't always do that... but wouldn't the world be a much better place if we all did?

Happy Birthday to my little sis, Kami. I love you more than words can say. And to Holly, all I can say is... WOW. I want to be like you when I grow up. Thanks for putting up with me all these years... and thanks for LOVING me.
Love isn't always warm and fuzzy... but in the end, it's all we need. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment