Friday, October 14, 2011

Grace...

Grace= Mercy,clemency, pardon... a manifestation of favor, especially by a Superior. Favor or goodwill. UNMERITED. Freely given... because that is who God is. "The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love."- Psalm 145:8

I've been thinking a lot about grace today. First thing this morning, I attended a Bible Study at my church... I had to do a makeup because I teach on Monday nights when they meet. This Bible study is "To Live is Christ", by Beth Moore, about the life of Paul. The lesson today was about his conversion. He, who was the greatest persecutor, the "chief sinner" (1 Timothy 1:15... Paul's words, not mine) later become arguably one of the best preachers ever, establishing 4 churches and writing much of the New Testament. He was a man who could appreciate grace, because he recognized that he didn't deserve God's love. Completely unmerited... but planned. "But even before I was born, God chose me and called me by his marvelous grace. Then it pleased him 16 to reveal his Son to me[a] so that I would proclaim the Good News about Jesus to the Gentiles."- Galatians 1:15-16. Yes, God's grace is free to us... in a way. But it comes with the ultimate sacrifice... of our life to His. What a tradeoff it is, though! And when we accept Him and strive to live in Him, through His grace, He is revealed to us... so that we can proclaim the good news. Not all of us were called to be preachers, so how do we proclaim the good news? By showing Christ in us. By giving grace.

You'd think that starting my day off with that realization would make it go smooth, right? Hardly! I went to teach a CPR class, couldn't find a parking spot, had to drive around town 5 times, then walked up a hill lugging my equipment to find that my room wasn't set up and I really had no idea where I was supposed to be. A ticking bomb going off in my head... the thought of grace nowhere to be found... Thank You Lord that even when I don't show grace, You nudge me that I should...

Grace for Caleb when he whines about homework and doesn't put his shoes on when I've asked him 569 times. Grace for Wallace when he just wants to go deer hunting instead of doing what I think he needs to do. Grace for the person who cuts me off in the parking lot. Grace for the person who drives 30 miles an hour when I really need to get home. Grace for the person whose opinion I don't agree with. Grace when all my plans go amuck and I'm left trying to figure out what I'm doing... Grace. Because I've been given grace, I'm supposed to give it out. One last meaning of the word grace? Elegance or beauty of form... pleasing or attractive quality. I may not be the most elegant person, but when I show grace, I am beautiful... inside and out. Beauty from ashes... because of His grace. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment