Sunday, November 15, 2015

46 days

Today is November 15th, the halfway point of November.

I only have about 3 weeks of the fall semester left.

People are posting pictures of Christmas trees and Christmas decorations.

The air definitely has more of a chill in it.

And I still have yet to finish a book this month.

Oh, I'm reading books. 

14 of them, to be exact.

And the stack by my bed just keeps getting taller.  There are too many books and not enough time to read them.

Namely because I'm addicted to social media.

There, I said it. I find myself spending hours on the computer wasting time and scrolling down a page that never really changes.

As an introvert by nature, social media can exhaust me...

but it also serves as a connection. I find myself feeling affirmed by those likes and comments.

Social media is a wonderful tool, but sometimes we're too connected to a screen to connect to those around us.

I can become so absorbed in what others are doing that I lose track of what I should be doing myself.

If you've read my blog at all, you know I stink at self-discipline. It's one of the reasons why I struggle with exercise at times and why I'm a procrastinator and why my laundry stays piled to the ceiling.

However, I'm doing better with exercise.

And I want to do better with self-discipline.

I found myself the other day looking at planners for 2016.  I always love the new year because it holds such promise. There's something about a blank space on a calendar that makes me be hopeful.

I usually don't last through the first week... but I am hopeful that I will.

And as I was looking at those planners, I thought about all I hope to accomplish next year; how it's going to be great...

And realized that I don't even have my next breath promised to me.

We don't have to wait for a new year, a new month, a new day to start over.

We can make each day the best; each minute is a new opportunity.

Every breath we take can make us better than we were.

So.... the way I look at it, I have 46 days left in 2015. That's 46 days that I can make a difference in someone's life.  46 days for me to exercise. 46 days for me to lose those extra 15 or 20 pounds that I'd like to lose. 46 days to read His Word.

46 days to close my computer down and laugh with Caleb, to listen to Wallace, to chase Will, to snuggle with Melody.

46 days to use this white space to bring glory to God.

What are you going to do for these 46 days?

For that matter, what are you going to do today? 

Lord, help me embrace each moment as a gift from You and use them to accomplish Your Will. Thank You, Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment