Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What I'm Reading in October

If I could choose one day to spend exactly how I'd like to spend it, it would probably include some Cheesecake Factory.  Or perhaps Papa Johns Pizza.  A long nap. And, of course, a book.  While I can dream of relaxing the day away, I'm indulging in a few good reads when I can get a few minutes.  What I'm reading right now...

On my Kindle, I'm still reading Auschwitz: A New History. I started it in August, and am over halfway through it.  I'm learning a lot and realizing there is a lot I didn't know about the Holocaust.  The class systems, even in a concentration camp, and how things were planned for a final extermination is really quite scary.  It is a deep and thought-provoking book.  I'm also reading Angel, by Mary E. Kingsley.  This book is set in Tennessee during the Vietnam War era, and follows a 13 year old on her path to find answers to questions about her life and those she loves.  It's an easy read, no big words or complicated language, and I'm liking it so far.  I'm also reading The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by John Maxwell.  I had planned to read a chapter or two of that a month to read it throughout the year, but that's not worked out the best, so I am resolved to finish it up this month.  , 

I'm reading The Drowning Tree by Carol Goodman; I started it last month and it is just getting good.  I kind of hated to get out of the bathtub last night and stop reading! I started Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews as well.  Set in Nags Head, it's really making me wish I was in the Outer Banks, or at least at a beach somewhere.  I love reading books set in places I'm a little familiar with... it helps me picture in my mind what's going on.  My drive-thru read is The Inn at Rose Harbor.  I love Debbie Macomber.  That's all.  Her writing style is easy to read and her characters are true to life.  I'd like to visit Cedar Cove, except it rains a lot there and I really don't care much for rain.

Two nights ago I downloaded Beth Moore's digital pass for her simulcast from Sept. 14th.  I knew she was speaking on grace, which is my word of the year.  30 minutes in, she started talking about Brennan Manning's The Ragamuffin Gospel, a book I've had in my bookshelf for several months.  I got it off the shelf and have been reading a chapter a night, highlighting and making notes.  And it's good.  I'll also be starting Jesus the One and Only Monday and A Confident Heart by Renee Swope October 13th.  I've already got it downloaded and will probably start reading early =)

And my to read list... which just keeps growing and growing.  I'm  planning on finishing the Nicole Baart trilogy, Beneath the Night Tree.  Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich.  What Alice Forgot.  Jeremy Camp's autobiography.  Gabby Douglas's autobiography.  Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker... oh, I could go on and on.  And then there's the books I wanted to read last month that are already downloaded on my Kindle... Grace by Max Lucado and Unconditional by Eva Marie Everson. 

As always, comment below with any suggestions for me. I may not read them until this time next year but I'll definitely look into them. 

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to be watching your reading list in the future. Sweet hubby finally convinced me to order a Kindle Fire. Guess I am going to have to start building a library now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to start "A Confident Heart"! Like you, I may start reading it early. It's no telling what God is going to say through that book!

    ReplyDelete