Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Top Posts of 2016

I didn't write as much in 2016 as I had hoped to... story of my life.

2016 was a roller coaster of a year... highs and lows. Ups and downs. Getting the wind knocked out of you, climbing the rickety hill to appreciate the view from the top, only to get knocked down again. That's represented in my top blog posts from 2016.

1. From Humble Beginnings

This post is the eulogy I gave at my Papaw Jr.'s funeral. A simple, humble, happy man, my Papaw passed away in November. He lived a beautiful life and left a legacy of hope for his six children, ten grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

2. "Feeling with My Fingers"

This post is the eulogy I gave at my Papaw Paul's funeral in June. Papaw was truly the smartest man I have ever (and will probably ever) know. His kind heart and generosity have prompted me throughout this year to look for ways to serve others.













The Legacy of Great Men-

I thought a lot about legacy this year. Death has hit us hard, but I know that it doesn't have the final victory. While this was not one of my top read posts this year, I want to add it in, because Uncle Dennis's legacy speaks for itself.

3. To My Seniors

My reflection on the three seniors on our Ladycat basketball team. I always say I've been blessed with one son and too many daughters to name. Here's a look at three of them. We didn't win that regional title... made it to the semifinals and lost a nailbiter to Leslie County, who went on to be Regional Champs... but I'm forever proud of my Ladycats.

4. My Prayer for 8th Grade

To say that I can't believe that Caleb Bates is an 8th grader is an understatement. Watching him grow up has been the best part of my life... but also the scariest. This post, written on the first day of Caleb's 8th grade year, tried to portray a little of that. And all the crazy Mamas said... Amen

5. Tackling the Field


This was one of my favorite books I've read in 2016... the entire series, to be matter of fact. I'm so thankful I discovered Celebrate Lit and the authors and books featured there. I've been exposed to a lot of great writing that I may not have otherwise discovered.
6. Honeybee Sisters

This was another post I completed for Celebrate Lit. This series was well-written, with likeable characters... well, except for the characters you weren't supposed to like =) Beckstrand's portrayal of three Amish sisters raised by a slightly eccentric aunt make for delightful reading.
7. Surround Me

This was yet another book I reviewed for Celebrate Lit, the second book of the Revolutionary Faith series. I enjoyed "traveling" to pre-Revolutionary War Charlestown.
8. What I Learned this Summer
Other than my Papaw passing away, my family enjoyed the best summer of our lives... or at least one of the best. We took the boat to the lake, went hiking, visited the beach, spent time in the hills on the side by side, and basically just enjoyed being with one another. Here's my recap of what I learned in the summer of 2016.

9- Hold Me Close
The first book in the Revolutionary Faith series, set in an era I rarely read about, so this was refreshing. Thank you, again, Celebrate Lit.
10. Change of Heart

This was another book featuring an Amish family that I reviewed for Celebrate Lit. A good read, with warm characters and engaging dialogue, this storyline made the reader think about what is truly important in life.
11. Damsel in Distress
I wrote this book in January after reading the book of Ruth. Ruth is one of my favorite books of the Bible and she is also one of my favorite characters, but her faith and trust in a God that she didn't even really know amazes me. Here's my take on her famous speech to Naomi as they stand at the crossroads of their lives.

So there you have 'em, the top read posts of 2016. Thanks for visiting, and here's praying 2017 is filled with lots of writing!
Linking up with Kate Motaung (pic courtesy of her blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment