Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What I'm Reading in September

The middle of the month is fast approaching and my bedside table is still piled high with books.  Between the rush of work, volleyball, church, exercising, trips to Lexington, the Honey Festival, and taking naps, I haven't made reading a priority.  I am reading several books that I am really enjoying, though, so it may just be that I am savoring what I am reading.

I'm reading Where We Belong by Emily Giffin.  Gifffin is one of my favorite authors, and this book is no different.  The story revolves around an 18  year old who was adopted, and her journey to meet her birth parents, and in turn find herself.  Some language issues, and a little of the content is racy, but the storyline is great and I love the main character.

And The Mountains Echo by Khaled Hosseini is set in Afghanistan and follows a boy and his sister.  I've just started this one so I'm not really sure of the direction it is going, but I loved the last book I read by this author and have heard that this one will not be a disappointment.

Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Enough Marriage Just Isn't Good Enough is written by a couple in ministry who admits that their marriage hit a slump and they just weren't sure they were cut out for married life anymore.  I love Wallace, and our marriage is not in a slump (at least not to me... he may have something different to say)... but several of my online friends said this was a great read to help you think about improving yourself to make your marriage better... and I think we can all make some improvements.  The authors are honest and the information is scripture-based, so thus far a good read.

The Color of Heaven was a free read on Kindle and I am really enjoying it.  The main character lost a daughter to leukemia, then had a near death experience herself, and has returned to her hometown to repair the relationship with her mother.  It is written in language that is easy to read and understand and the story line flows well. It's the first of a series, so I've added some books to my wish list.

Get out of that Pit by Beth Moore is a book I'm reading for an online book club.  I just started... again.  I had read part of this book a few years ago, and honestly can't remember if I finished it for whatever reason.  The main scripture is based out of Psalm 40.  I love anything I read by Beth Moore, so I'm looking forward to creating some time this weekend to really dig into this one.

God's Story, Your Story by Max Lucado is one I've been reading for awhile.  I tend to read a chapter and then lose focus before answering the discussion questions, but I've found that often when I return to reading, it is just what God thought I needed to hear.  Lucado is an awesome writer.

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp... I can't say enough about this book.  It was life-changing when I first read it.  Becoming thankful in all things... looking for the good... counting gifts... but sometimes we just need a reminder, so when my Hello Mornings group started talking about reading this and counting gifts, I pulled it back out.  I'm drawn to Voskamp's poetic language that really makes me think about how the mundane is marvelous.  I have several quotes of Voskamp's that I love... my favorite right now is "Life is not an emergency." I highly recommend this book.  I've been counting gifts for three years now.  I'm not the most consistent, but I try to sit down at least a couple of times a week and jot down my thankfuls, and it really does change my attitude... even though it could still use some work.

The Patriarchs Bible study by Beth Moore is another book I've started and stopped during the last couple of months. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been consistent in my quiet times, and as always can tell a difference.  This study is wonderful, though, and I hope to use some more time this weekend to watch the next video session and move on to the next week. 

Seeing the Elephant by Leah Banicki was another free Kindle read, and I am glad it was free.  I'm fighting my way through it because I hate quitting a book I've started. It has a good story line.  A girl from Kentucky is traveling west in a wagon train to meet her father.  However, there are major issues with grammar, tenses, and narrative voice and I'm struggling.  I mean, I recognize that my blogs tend to go on and on and on and contain numerous run-on sentences, but in some places the tense changes are so distracting that I have to stop and reread the section.  Still debating if I'll finish this one or not.

Thank You for All Things by Sandra Kring is about a girl and her genius twin brother. Their grandfather, who they have never met, is dying, and they go to visit him. Some family members want them to stay permanently, but I'm not far enough in the book to know if they stay or if they go. The little girl is a loveable character, though, and I'm cheering for them to stay so she can bond with her grandpa. This book is my "drive-thru" book so I'm reading it in small increments.

The Wedding Dress by Rachael Hauck... I love this book.  Narrated by both a modern-day wedding dress owner and a young girl in the early 1900s who is engaged to be married, I still haven't figured out the connection, but the book is well-written and I am loving the main character.  She just broke up with her fiancé and I am hoping that in the end they get back together.  A hopeless romantic, maybe?

On my to read list... Starting The Best Yes with P31 OBS and my small group on facebook September 22 (and it's not too late for you to register at www.proverbs31.org).  Where She Went, the follow-up to If I Stay.  Angels Walking by Karen Kingsbury.  Son, the last book of the Giver series by Lois Lowry.  Sum it Up by Pat Summit.  And the stack on my bedside table and the bookshelf overflowing...

Happy reading!  I'd love to hear what's on your reading/to read list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment