Sunday, December 1, 2013

What I'm Reading in December

Thanksgiving was a glorious time.  I took a Facebook break and read.  And read.  And read some more.  So before I dive into what I'm reading now... let me mention a couple of books that I read in November between my initial post. 

Gabby Douglas's autobiography.  Good read.  Read it in one day.  A little light in the language, written in teen speak... but still good.  Lots of good Bible verses and quotes.  I'm hoping this young athlete clings to that faith.  The Racketeer by John Grisham.  It had been a while since I had read any Grisham.  I remembered really quickly why I loved him so much.  Great book! Fifteen Minutes by Karen Kingsbury. Another book I read in a matter of days.  All about a young guy on a show similar to American Idol, and how fame can change people. This one ended... well, I'll not tell you in case you want to read it, but let's just say I would LOVE to see a sequel!!! And then there was The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  A love story... talked about WWII and the Japanese displacement.  I really, really, really liked this one. 

On my Kindle, still reading The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by John Maxwell.  I started this book at the beginning of the year with the intention of reading a chapter a month, and really thinking on it.  Did pretty good until July... so this past week I started over.  I've reread through Chapter 4, and plan to finish it in the next couple of weeks.  It will be finished before the new year =) I'm also reading War Brides, set during WWII.  It looked interesting but so far I've had trouble getting into it.  There are several main characters, and I'm trying to figure them out.  I'm also reading Freedom From Performing.  It is set up like a Bible study, with daily questions, so I'm going to take it as I can and not rush through it.  Love that the first chapter is all about grace, as I finish up this, my year of grace. And I just started Finding Grace, the sequel to O That I Had Wings, which I read last month.

My drive-thru read is The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury.  I haven't started it yet, but it is out in my console waiting on Monday morning.  I love Karen Kingsbury, and this one involves a bookstore, I think... and it is a Christmas book.  Great combo, right? I'm also reading Olive Kitteridge, which seems like a good book so far, but I'm just about 20 pages into it. And then there is The Tired Country Smiles, written by Nola Pease Vandemeer, telling of her work, alongside her husband, in Morris Fork, Kentucky.  It is beautifully written and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I always love reading about Kentucky history...well, any kind of history.

I'm on Chapter 9 in Renee Swope's A Confident Heart.  We'll finish up that Bible study just in time for Christmas.I'm also reading A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet.  It's by Sophie Hudson, the writer of the Boo Mama blog, best friend to Melanie Shankle, who wrote Sparkly Green Earrings.  This book is about real life anecdotes about "faith, family, and fifteen pounds of bacon." Good stuff, there.  I mean... a book with Bacon in the title has to be good, right? 

And my to read list... which just keeps growing and growing.  Starry Night by Debbie Macomber.  The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs. The Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp.  Killing Kennedy and Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly.  Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker... so much to read.  So little time. 

As always, comment below with any suggestions for me. After all, Christmas break is coming up and I am always looking for a few good reads =)

No comments:

Post a Comment