Saturday, July 6, 2013

Dauphin Island Recap

I'm sitting on my couch, in my clean house, reflecting on this past week.  It's been great.  Lots of food.  Lots of laughter.  Lots of fun and relaxation and realizing what is important about life.  My top ten things about Dauphin Island, if I can limit it (and in no particular order, except perhaps somewhat chronologically).

1. The drive.  Normally people dread long drives, but Wallace and I have always been good traveling companions. Thanks to my Kindle paperwhite, I can read in the vehicle.  We listen to music and he twirls my hair and ties it into knots and drinks Diet Coke.  This trip, on the way down, two Calebs kept us company for a rather uneventful trip down... only a couple of hiccups in traffic, one at a wreck that didn't even look that bad.  Wallace: "What slows you down is all of those people gawking,", to which Caleb replied, "I got some pretty good pics." Our Caleb... and the trip back was rather rainy.  An interstate was closed and we ended up going back roads through Tennessee with Katie and Heather keeping us company.  A good crew.  A long trip, but time well-spent.

And as I speak of the drive, let me discuss the bridge onto the island. Around three miles long, with a tall summit, it is unique landmark.  Wallace decided to run to the top one night.  Here's a view from our hotel.


2. Quiet time in the morning. Most days I got up and read my Bible. Some days I walked in the morning.  The peacefulness of the ocean abounded on this island set apart, uncommercialized. 
3. Ferry boat rides are awesome!  We took a ferry ride across Mobile Bay to Gulf Shores to eat at Lulu's.  It took about twenty minutes, maybe a little longer, and the view was awesome.  On the way back, we stood at the front of the boat and I got soaked, but it was so warm it felt good.  I also got spit on by a little boy who was spitting over the side of the boat.  I got a little mad so I moved away.  Later that evening, I asked that little boy (who shall remain nameless to protect the not so innocent) if he knew why I got so mad.  I explained how the spit that he thought was going in the ocean came back and hit me in the face, to which he replied, "Hmmm... maybe you should try to be more like Jesus.  He got spit on and he just smiled and prayed."  Good thing I had done my quiet time that morning.


4. Jalapeno hushpuppies and chips and queso from Lulus.  Awesome.  Here are the girls at Lulus.  Great bunch =)

5. There is no view like the one with the ocean in front of you and a book in your lap.  That's all I can really say.

Except maybe this view:
or this one:

6. The most important things in your life aren't things.  They are people.  We visited Dauphin Island with some pretty great people.  Thanks to the Spencers for being such great condo-mates for the week.. they truly feel like family, as do the Watts.  Thanks to Susan and Jenn for all of the awesome cooking.  It's not every day that you get gravy and biscuits and lasagna on the beach.  Thanks to Nana and Papaw for coming along for the ride.  There were fourteen of us in all, and for the most part it was a week of peaceful relaxation (anytime you have kids there is going to be a little drama).  Pooltime, beachtime, movies, we all just kind of did our own thing.  If a kid wanted to stay in the pool, one of the adults stayed along.  I'm blessed to have such great friends and family.  These guys here, though, are the best, although I may be just a little biased.



7. I may not know how to cook, but I know how to do breakfast.  Actually, Jenn and Caleb Spencer told us about these amazing cinnamon rolls, and they didn't lie.  The Lighthouse Bakery lived up to its reputation. I also had some kind of wrap made out of crescent rolls and bacon... yum, yum.  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
 

8. There's nothing like fireworks on the 4th of July on the beach.  Especially when Caleb Bates is yelling, "Merica" and "freedom" and Caleb Spencer is lit up with red, white, and blue glow in the dark bracelets.  The only downside was feeling like we were in the Sahara during a sandstorm... just a tad windy, but fun nevertheless!
9. Rainy days at the beach aren't that bad. Sure, they aren't as good as sunny days, but I read and watched Forest Gump and played Candy Crush.  And the view was pretty good.

 
10.  The sunsets were awesome.  Here's the view from last night, after a day of rain:
The week flew by.  Time always does when you are having fun, right?  Memories, though... they last a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment