Friday, June 2, 2023

Quick FMF Linkup

 I'm out of shape... bad. 

Spring 2023 didn't lend itself to much exercise, as I was going from one place to another and as pretty much gone from home from daylight to dark. I know that doesn't stop other people, but I"m not other people, and I'm learning to accept somethings about myself, such as the fact that I am not a 5 AM treadmill walker... 

so this means that when I first started walking again in May... I was sllllooooowwww. 

And also puttered out easily. 

I am a quitter by nature, and this slowness and puttering out made me want to just stop and curl up in my chair and read...

Reading comes easily to me. It always has. I wish I could lose weight and get into shape by reading. 

What I am discovering in my "old" middle age of 43, though, is that things that used to come easy don't. 

It takes me much longer to read a book than it did. 

Much longer to walk a mile than it did. 

But maybe that's a good thing...

because when you're savoring a good story it just means more. 

And when you're walking and looking up at the sky and listening to the creek and feeling the breeze on your cheek it's about more than just a physical walk. 

Slow and steady wins the race, so I'll settle for not being too QUICK most days. 

After all, any progress beats going backward. 


*Linking up with Five Minute Friday, where a community of writers chooses a theme word and writes about that word for five minutes, no editing, no changes, no over-thinking. This week's theme was QUICK. 

7 comments:

  1. Nothing comes easy these days;
    spirit's willing, flesh is weak,
    and though I'm lost in cancer's maze
    there's still something worthwhile to seek,
    and that's simply the meaning
    of why in God's name I'm still here.
    There isn't space for dreaming,
    and though I am hostage to fear
    I will go straight on as I must,
    a slave to this fell circumstance,
    and throughout my days I trust
    that God will join me in the dance
    to crush the serpent with His heel
    to finish death's Virginia Reel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slowing down definitely has its benefits! Visiting from FMF#11

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is frustrating when you have to go slowly, but I find I see more both physically and with the eye for faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There surely are benefits to slowing down :) Whether slow or quick, may we not miss the goodness of God all around us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we’re quick and sometimes we’re slow, but the point is to keep moving forward. Even if we step back temporarily.
    Eyes on Jesus you’re shining!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like "After all, any progress beats going backward."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this line "After all, any progress beats going backward." and I'll need to write it down and remember it! make it my new slogan.

    ReplyDelete