Saturday, May 27, 2017

Remembering Your Stories

I'm a big fan of stories. If you follow my blog at all you know I love to read...

and my favorite kind of books are those with engaging plot lines that suck you in and tell a mesmerizing story.

I can remember when I was younger both of my Grandmas would keep me entertained for hours with stories...

and I'm big on the importance of the story of the individual.

That's why a tweet I recently read stuck in my mind, and I've been pondering it.

It basically said that our stories don't matter, it's God's story that matters...

and while I think I understand the premise of that statement, I have to say that our story matters BECAUSE God's story matters.

I won't be presumptuous and say that God's story isn't possible without our stories, because God is God and can do all things, created all things, and without Him we wouldn't have a story...

but He also specifically made us with a calling, a purpose, and He loves the stories of our lives.

Just like a novel, there are some good parts and some bad parts.

Plot twists and parts where you feel like you should cover your eyes.

Parts when you groan at the decisions made by the main character, and parts that are so sickenly sweet it renews your faith in mankind... for a few minutes, at least.

I think God wants us to tell our stories... the good and the bad and the ugly... to bring Him glory.

In fact, in Revelations we are told, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and the Word of their testimony..."

His Word, Jesus, yes....

but the word of their testimony. Their stories of how He saved them. How He changed them. How He redeemed them...

their stories.

And just as God left us a "letter" to follow, His Word, we are a letter. In 2 Corinthians 3:3, we're told, "It is clear that you are Christ’s letter, produced[a] by us, not written with ink but with the Spirit of the living God—not on stone tablets but on tablets that are hearts of flesh." (HCSB)

We are letters telling of Christ. Our daily words. Our actions. Our thought processes and how they impact how we love...

we're telling the Gospel story as it interweaves with the mundane but beautiful dance of our very lives.

Your story matters... and so does every other story of every other individual breathing right now.

Keep telling it. Keep living it.

Don't try to hide the messy parts... they are often the most thrilling of the entire story!

And if your life is a book... that means that each day... today... is a new chapter.

Full of new opportunities to rewrite the plot...

Kind of like those choose your own adventure books you've seen.

I'm thinking this weekend, Memorial Day weekend, would be a great time to remember some of those stories your loved ones might have told you... of difficult times in your family. Of brave heroes who went off to war and didn't come back. Of love stories and stories full of hope.

And then, share your story with someone. Remember where you've came from...

so that we can see how far we've come.

And if you're really into storytelling, grab the Bible. It's truly the greatest story ever told, with a true heroine who rides in like a knight in shining armor and battles the dragon to save His love. If you don't know Jesus, I can guarantee He'll change your story. I'd be happy to share more with you! Just comment below.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment